Saturday 1 May 2010

Blocking

At this stage I started to block out the main poses of the characters using reference from the drawings that I had done and also the footage that we got from the sound recordings. The movie below shows the first stage of blocking:




As you can see, at this stage, I have only blocked out the movement of the doctor. With this piece, I have still blocked out the key positions but I have gone straight in to using curves to see if I can get a better idea of how things are flowing. Already I can see that there are certain movements that are not working like the part where he shouts at the end needs more poses because he just stands still for most of it.

The next stage was blocking out the movement of the patient so that I would have a completely blocked out scene.



As you can see, all of the patients moves have been blocked out. However, I think that a couple of the gestures are not clear at this point. At the beginning of the scene, the patient is supposed to be just waking up so I thought that I would have him rubbing his face to show that he is tired. I showed it to various people and everyone said that he looked depressed and this is not what I want as he does not know that his leg is gone yet.

One suggestion that I had was that he should be asleep at the start and the doctor wakes him up. This fits really well with my scene as it says a lot about the doctors character because he isn't paying enough attention to the patient to realise that he is asleep or he just doesn't care. It also makes the fact that the patient hasn't noticed that his leg is missing more plausible. As I have said before, the audience can't relate to a situation if it is not plausible.

I have also added a few extra frames for the doctor at the end of the scene to exaggerate the shouting. I think that there is some evidence of force in his shouting now but it's possibly a bit too over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment